Thursday, July 13, 2017

Healthy Refrigerator Bran Muffins

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/healthy-and-delicious-refrigerator-bran-muffins/

I love these muffins. They're healthy but crazy delicious, make-ahead, and high-fiber. ("Yoo hoo! Big summer blowout!")


I made a big batch the day before we left on our trip and brought a dozen with us. (Which ended up being a huge blessing once the constipation set it. How lovely... I'm three lines in to a recipe blog and I'm already discussing bodily functions. #stillaBriggs) And the second I walked in the door from our all-day roadtrip home, I preheated the oven to 375 so I could pair hot muffins with scrambled eggs and call it a mom-win as I fed my family something fairly legitimate from an empty, post-vacation fridge. Woo!

A few notes on the recipe... First and foremost, I love Mel. Hands-down, she's my favorite food blogger. I owe her so much!! You'll be seeing a lot of her food posted by me! Also, I've cheated the butter a little before when I just wanted to use up some butter that was on a plate (5ish T. instead of 8), and didn't miss the extra tablespoons at all.

Enjoy these little puppies! Fresh muffins + fruit makes for a lovely breakfast.


yield: 4 dozen muffins

MAKE-AHEAD REFRIGERATOR BRAN MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 cups (about 8 ounces) wheat bran flakes or plain wheat bran
  • 2 cups (about 4 ounces) bran buds (look like little pebbles) or all-bran (look like little twigs) 
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 4 cups (1 quart) buttermilk (or equal parts sour cream and milk whisked together)
  • 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup, 4 ounces) butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 cups (15 ounces) granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 cups (about 25 ounces) whole wheat flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

  1. In a large bowl with a tight fitting lid (needed if you aren’t baking the muffin batter right away), add the wheat bran flakes or wheat bran and the bran buds or all-bran.
  2. Pour the boiling water over the top, and mix well. Stir every couple of minutes while the mixture cools to room temperature. The mixture will be  thick and sticky; it’s ok if there are a few dry patches.
  3. After the mixture cools to warm room temperature, add the buttermilk, melted butter, applesauce, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
  4. Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until ingredients are combined.
  5. The batter can be baked right away or stored in the refrigerator, covered well, for up to a month to bake as needed. Give the batter a good stir before using if it has been refrigerated.
  6. To bake, scoop the batter into greased or lined muffin tins, filling 3/4 full. Bake at 375 degrees (350 degrees for dark coated muffin tins) for about 14-16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment