Saturday, July 15, 2017

Mama Hull's Steak Salad

We grilled steak for dinner a few weeks ago and had leftovers. I immediately thought of mom's delicious steak salad. It was actually the first thing I ate at her house after being married to Quinton. So I guess it helps that I have good memories attached. But boy do we LOVE THIS SALAD!! (You don't have to have good memories attached in order to love it by the way-- it's good all on it's own)

We called mom to get the recipe. I remembered that it was a homemade garlic/oil/brown sugar dressing and that the salad was spinach, steak and bell peppers. Guess what!! I was forgetting a few other key ingredients, but I ended up having everything I needed already in my kitchen. No need for a grocery trip.. That NEVER happens to me. I was so happy! Ha! :)

So here it is. Steak is not a common meat in our meals, but when it is I will be sure to make extra for this salad! ENJOY!

Steak Salad
Melody Hull

Spinach
Leftover steak, sliced into thin strips
1 sweet red onion, or Walla Walla onion, sliced
1 sweet red pepper – or yellow or orange, sliced into strips
2 T. chopped peanuts (or any kind of nut)

Saute the onion and peppers either in a grill basket on the barbecue grill, or in a pan on the stove.  Make sure you first put them into a bag and toss a little olive oil in there so they soften and don’t stick to the pan.  Set aside.

Mix the following dressing over the stove – add cilantro at the very end because you don’t want to really cook it that long – keep it kind of fresh and green.  Then toss the spinach, steak strips, peppers and onions with the dressing.  Add chopped peanuts and serve immediately.  It turns out to be a slightly “wilted” salad.  Super yummy!

Dressing:
Juice of 2 limes or 4 T.
1 T olive oil
1 heaping T. brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. soy sauce

2 T. fresh chopped cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment